A man has died after being punched in the face by a stranger at a hotel in Saudi Arabia.
Key points:The man’s death was the first in Saudi since October 29The hotel has been closed for three monthsThe man is believed to be an Iraqi nationalThe hotel was evacuated after a man was attacked on October 29 and closed on November 7The man was taken to hospital and later died.
He was the fifth Australian to be killed in the kingdom since October last year.
He is believed have been attacked in a hotel near the capital Riyadh.
The man, who is believed be Iraqi, was attacked in October by a man in his 20s, who kicked and punched him, causing a cut to his face, police said.
He died at the scene, the hospital said.
Police have evacuated the area around the hotel and the surrounding areas after the attack.
The hotel is also closed for the three months of the Saudi kingdom’s coronavirus outbreak, which has seen at least 20 Australians infected.
Saudi Arabia has been a major source of Australians infected with the virus, and there has been concern the country could be at risk of spreading the disease to other countries.
There has also been concern about the possibility of an increased influx of foreign nationals coming to Saudi Arabia, where there is a visa-free travel scheme and free health care.
A Saudi man is being investigated by police over the attack in Kuwait, police spokesman Abdullah Almasr said on Saturday.
He said the man was known to police.
“We have received a complaint from the man,” he said.
“We will investigate the matter.”
The Australian embassy in Kuwait said it was aware of the death, and was in touch with the family.
A Saudi embassy spokesperson said the incident was being investigated.
Kuwaiti authorities have closed the country’s border with Yemen, while Kuwait has imposed a nationwide state of emergency.